Pakistan will sign free trade agreements (FTA) with Singapore, China and Malaysia by the end of 2006, the country’s commerce minister said on Tuesday.
Unhappy over Pakistan’s decision to limit trade with it to a few items under the South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA), India on Tuesday said such a move would make the agreement meaningless and sought an "urgent" meeting of the SAARC Commerce Ministers to discuss the issue, an Indian newspaper reported.
Pakistan and Jordan set to initiate the process of negotiations for concluding Free Trade Agreement (FTA) and Protection and Promotion of Investment between the two countries along with cooperation in agriculture, science and technology and other areas during 8th Session of Pak-Jordan Joint Ministerial Commission.
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz has assured investors from Kuwait’s private and public sectors that Pakistan is open for business.
Pakistan has suggested talks on preferential trade agreement (PTA) with Afghanistan to lead to free trade agreement (FTA) between the two countries.
Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said in Karachi on Sunday that no progress had been made so far with the Indian government on the resolution of Siachen, let alone Kashmir and other vital issues, but he hoped that “outstanding issues will be resolved soon if the dialogue between the two neighbours continues”.
The SAARC Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SCCI) organized a seminar on SAFTA, Expanding Business Opportunities in Karachi on the occasion of Seventh SAARC trade fair.
China on Friday proposed that Beijing and Islamabad should speed up their joint study on a five-year plan for economic and trade cooperation and establish a Sino-Pakistani free trade agreement at an early date.
Pakistan’s interest not withstanding, there are many who believe that a free trade deal with China would adversely affect the south Asian country’s economic prospects.
Pakistan can be an energy corridor for China and it wants the Iran-Pakistan-India (IPI) gas pipeline extended up to China, President General Pervez Musharraf told a group of Chinese traders during a meeting on Wednesday.
Pakistan’s Commerce Minister Humayun Akhtar Khan on Wednesday suggested initiation of talks on preferential trade agreement (PTA) with Afghanistan, which would lead to free trade agreement (FTA) between the two countries.
Former Pakistan ambassador to US, Gen (Retd) Jehangir Karamat has hoped Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT) will soon be signed between Pakistan and US.
Pakistan and Association of the South East Asian Nations (Asean) yesteray agreed to begin talks for signing a free trade agreement (FTA), officials said.
Singapore and Pakistan will sign the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) before the end of this year, Federal Minister of Commerce, Himayun Akhtar Khan has said.
Pakistan is in separate bilateral talks with China and Malaysia to ease trade restrictions between the nations and is close to signing an accord with Singapore, commerce minister Humayun Akhtar said.
Pakistan has rejected a Chinese demand that 90 percent items covered under the Free Trade Agreement (FTA) should be put on positive list and remaining 10 percent in negative mode.
China and Pakistan have agreed on the basic terms of their bilateral free trade pact, officials close to the free trade arrangement (FTA) talks told Xinhua.
After breaking the ice by launching the preferential trade agreement among Developing Eight (D-8) countries, Indonesian Trade Minister Mari E. Pangestu envisions that the agreement would lead to a free trade arrangement for member countries in less than 15 years.
Singapore and Pakistan on Friday completed a third round of negotiations for a free trade agreement (FTA), the trade ministry said.
The United States has appreciated Pakistan’s trade and investment policies as liberal and attractive and has suggested to the government of Pakistan to arrange a meeting with all US companies working in Pakistan at a proper forum to know their concerns about making investment in Pakistan and subsequently devise a mechanism to address their concerns as it would go a long way in attracting foreign investment in Pakistan.