Greetings of solidarity!
The Asia Pacific Research Network (APRN) and AID/WATCH are pleased to invite you to a strategy workshop on the FTAs entitled: “To Oppose FTAs: Making People Matter”, that will take place on September 4-6, 2007 in Sydney, Australia.
The Strategy Workshop on the FTAs is an open and public gathering of trade campaigners within the region specifically timed to coincide with the APEC Leaders’ Meeting in Sydney. It offers a vital platform for the promotion of alternative perspectives on the regional trading system especially since APEC, as one of the most influential regional trade forums has attracted sustained criticism from civil society organizations across the region. The Conference will draw together many of these voices to offer an important counterpoint to the APEC process.
The Strategy Workshop is being convened with the following objectives:
– Advance alternatives to unfair trade regimes promoted by APEC
– Promote a North/South and South/South model of cooperation
– Advance social models of international trading systems based on justice and human rights
– Broaden international global justice campaign networks in the Asia-Pacific Region
– Share international experiences on the impacts of Free Trade Agreements
– Publish current international research on the impacts of FTAs.
Attached you will find a brief background to the Strategy Workshop, a preliminary agenda and registration form. Kindly confirm your participation by sending in the attached Workshop registration form by July 30th.
Thank you and looking forward to a meaningful exchange with fellow trade campaigners,
Antonio A. Tujan Jr.
Asia Pacific Research Network